Gracious Moments of the Starry Night!
Ask any casual movie-goer or cinephile or aspiring film-maker around the globe- ‘are they familiar with Oscars?’ The answer will always be in the affirmative. Oscars aka The Academy Awards are the most prestigious awards honoring and recognizing best of American cinemas or cornucopia of talented persons, hailing from different countries. Yes there are great movies that have are often left out by the Academy, which later on became cult classics, but hey the movies recognized and honored by it have entertainment and artistic creations to relish any average moviegoer and provide lessons for any budding filmmaker. The categories of the awards are wide ranging. Some of it are easily recognizable like the Best Picture, , Best actor in the leading role, Best director, while others are barely recognized by the mass audience. Nonetheless categories like live action Documentary film, Best animation short, Best costume design, Best sound mixing and such niche categories exists. In fact, there’s a whole history of how this awards have been evolved over the years, although the scope of this article isn’t enough to talk about it though.
This year’s, the 88th Annual Academy Awards was hosted by the comedian & actor Chris Rock. The most nominated movie this year is Mad max: Fury Road, which has globally enamored and was celebrated by audience and critics alike. As an Indian it was a big let down to not see Court being shortlisted for the Best foreign film category, it was a gracious to see Indian actress Priyanka Chopra presenting the Academy award for ‘Best editing’ (Priyanka has a major role in the upcoming film Baywatch and is currently the main lead of the TV Series Quantico). While most of those keenly following cinema were waiting for Leonardo di Caprio to win his first Oscar, the whole ceremony was a absolute treat to watch. Here are some of the best moments from the stardust evening:
- 2015 movie Mashup. It captured the best moments from the year’s best movies.
- Chris Rock’s monologue on diversity. It consisted of a very balanced string of words that brought racism, sexism and it’s cause n effect on Academy awards. While it brought the issue to spotlight, it also condemned the mania over it.
- Cate Blanchett presenting the award. Sandy Powell getting double nomination in the category- Best costume design for Cinderella and Carol, in both of which coincidentally Cate starred. Jenny beaven winning in the best costume design for Mad Max.
Lubezki’s third consecutive win for the “The Revenant” in the category best cinematography. He won it last year for Birdman and the year before for Gravity.
- Louie CK presenting documentary short films. Letting everyone know the importance/harsh realities of the people nominated in the category in the way only Louie can do. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy won the award for “A girl in the river: The price of forgiveness. This movie lead to changing of law on honor killing in Pakistan, which speaks loudly n clearly of the power of film.
- Jacob Tremblay of Room fame and Abraham Attah of Beasts of no nation fame presenting best live action short film was the cutest moment that eve and Stuterer winning it was cherry on top.
- America’s Vice President Joe biden presenting the performance of Lady Gaga dedicated to abused women n men. The performance of Gaga-Til it happens to you performed along with the abuse survivors was an inspiring, amazing n goosebumpy moment. It deserved n got the standing ovation from the audience present at the Dolby theater. Lady Gaga was nominated in the best original song category.
- Ennio Morricone arguably the Beethoven of our generation, winning Best original score for The Hateful Eight. It was his first win n sixth nomination. As the humble legend that he is he thanked everyone associated with the film and dedicated the award to his wife. A much deserved standing ovation was given by the audience. Cate’s tearful eyes made the victory more joyous.
- Alejandro G. Innaritu winning the oscar for best director consecutively for the Second year. Last year he won it for Birdman.
- Brie Larson hugging her little co star Jason before winning the award for the Best actress in a leading role. The award was presented by Eddie Redmayne who won the best actor in leading role last year for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking in the movie The theory of everything. He was nominated this year in the same category for the movie Danish girl.
- The most awaited, most trolled, most tweeted n most most moment arrived when Leonardo Di Caprio held the Oscars in his hands for best actor for the movie the “The Revenant”. Besides thanking everyone associated with the movie he thanked his family, friends and mentor Martin Scorsese. He brought the most urgent global issue affecting man and nature alike- Climate change. Kate Winslet supporting him on his win brought the Titanic moments to all their fans and his speech made them respect and love even more.
- “Spotlight” winning the best picture. There’s no argument on that one winning. A movie based on how effective journalism can change the facet of society is well deserved to be honored with the award. The scope of recognition this movie will get through this is enlivening to see. The heroic efforts of the journalists associated with investigative journalism around the globe would receive applause and recognition from this movie.
- Lastly, but definitely not the least, Chris Rock’s overall hosting of Oscars brought the celebratory atmosphere with a meaningful message. He also helped the Girl’s scout to collect 65k+ by letting them sell cookies to the guests present in the Dolby theater and yes Leo did bought and ate those cookies!